“Bee-tooch-day!” means “We can!” or “We’re powerful!”… Something along those lines. Example: “We’re riding horses in the breath-taking Mongolian countryside… Bee-tooch-day!!!” (As you raise your fist in the air.)

Day 4 of Horse Trek

Yay! We didn’t have to pack up today! Borka stayed at camp by the Tuul River while Urna, Karima, and I headed to see Turtle Rock. Turtle Rock is as far away from the Steppe Riders camp that we’ll go, so tomorrow we’ll start heading back the way we came. We headed out at about 10:30am and got to Turtle Rock around 2:30pm covering about 15 km. Along the way, we passed some cool rock formations, like Three Friends Rock. Urna was saying that Three Friends Rock is supposed to look like a monkey, an elephant, and something else… But I didn’t see it at all. Apparently, three friends hid here to avoid capture when the Soviet Russians came through.

Just a cool rock formation… Didn’t take a pic of Three Friends Rock. Oops!

We also passed a herd of cows with a stow away… A long haired, goofy-eyed goat was tagging along with the heard and, by the looks of it, probably unaware that he was with the wrong crowd. Poor guy. We also saw a herd of yaks!

Turtle Rock DEFINITELY looks like a turtle, a ginormous one at that! Really beautiful!! There, we also saw a camel and a golden eagle tied up for tourists to ride and hold, respectively. Urna asked if I wanted to pay to sit on the camel… Well ummm… When it’s tied up on a pedastal and all I would be doing is sitting on it and taking a picture, then I think I’ll have to pass. Had I been 12 years old again, I would’ve jumped for joy at this opportunity. I think I’ll just wait until I take a trip riding a camel through the desert to take a picture with a camel. 🙂

Turtle Rock!

Golden Eagle!

We stopped at the little restaurant there to have a quick lunch before heading back. Seeing as we were the only people in the restaurant, we had assumed we’d be able to get served. They said they didn’t have food or time to serve us…? But they would let us eat in the restaurant if we brought food in there. So we got ramen noodles and chips from the little convenience store and ate inside the restaurant. While we were eating, a Japanese family of about 8 came in and were served a variety of dishes. Also, the owner and her friends were served a nice hot meal. Maybe we missed the memo where we had to make an appointment to order lunch. Then we wanted to use the restroom before we headed back. As we were walking behind the restaurant, a lady yelled back to us saying that the bathrooms were out of order and we had to use the outhouse. Also that there was a 100₮ fee (about 7¢) to use the squat toilet outhouse with no toilet paper. What a bunch of crap!

This isn’t the first time I’ve had to pay to use the bathroom, but the accomadations were MUCH better than this! Haha

We headed back to camp at about 3:15pm and pretty much ran the whole way back! It was so much fun and the horses LOVED it!! We got back to camp at about 5:30pm (another 15km), running sure does make a huge difference for time! It was a little hard on the knees though having to stand in the saddle basically the whole time. When we got back, Borka and his new friend were napping after a day of drinking at camp. They brought all of our bags inside their tent and were using them as pillows and squashed the canvas painting I had just bought the day before. 😦 Though because it’s canvas, it’s not totally ruined, just needs to be flattened. Grr.

After we got back, the horses were all sweaty and catching their breath. They just chilled and relaxed and they were soooo cute!! Malida (my horse) and Urna’s horse were resting their heads on Butternut (Karima’s horse).

All tuckered out after an awesome ride!

Malida! So cute!

For dinner, Urna made another concoction of veggies, meat, and noodles. I got a giant heap of it on my plate and they were dry and I just couldn’t finish it. I didn’t want to offend Urna, so after I finished as much as I could handle, I through the rest in a plastic bag to throw away later. Even though I grew up being really picky and not always wanting to eat everything on my plate, I think this is a first for me. Haha so mature.

Bon Appétit.

Later on, Karima and I went for a walk. I tried teaching her how to skip rocks. Growing up in Arizona doesn’t give you a lot of opportunities to do this and it’s something that I took for granted growing up in Wisconsin. She’ll get it someday! Then we collected some sticks and branches to make a fire. After K got the fire going, Urna, Borka, and their friend came out and sat by the fire with us talking and teaching us some new Mongolian phrases.

Another great day in Mongolia!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s